Defining Your Ideal Home
The property you buy will be much more than a house; it will be your home. The following questions can help you describe the things that are most important to you in your ideal home and neighborhood.
- For some people, "home" means a hub of social activity; for others it might be a place to retreat from the pressures of daily life. What does "home" mean to you?
- Who will be living in your household? Will you often have other family members or friends visiting for more than a few days at a time?
- If you will be working outside your home, what would you consider a comfortable commute (in time or distance)? Will you be working at home?
- What are the most important activities for the members of your household? For example, hobbies, recreation, school, entertaining, religious or cultural activities?
- What are one or more features you liked most about homes you have lived in previously? This might include style, floor plan, yard, view and neighborhood.
- What is something you disliked about the house or neighborhood where you have lived previously, and that you would want to avoid in your next home?
- What are the most important ‘must have’ features of your ideal home and neighborhood? Why are they important?