Every Hudson Valley home sale shares a common process, from putting the house on the market to settlement day. Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Hudson Valley Properties can give you the inside know-how that will help you make smart decisions every step of the way.
How Can You Help Make a Positive First Impression?
The correct staging of your home can go a long way toward achieving a successful sale at the highest price.
Here are some tips:
- Enhance drive-up appeal by removing clutter, cleaning stains off the driveway and touching up the exterior paint where needed.
- A nicely trimmed and edged lawn always makes a good first impression.
- Remove dead and dying plants and consider adding color with hanging baskets or pots of flowers.
- Sparkling clean windows let the sun shine through.
- Give the carpets a good cleaning to remove stains and odors, or even recarpet if you feel it's appropriate.
- Cracked or peeled paint and smudges on walls are easy fixes that, once taken care of, can give the home a fresh, new look.
Showing Your Home
When it comes time to show the property, here are some suggestions that will help make the process go more smoothly:
- Maintain the home in ready-to-show condition with beds made, clutter removed, dishes put away and so forth. Then, you're always ready for a showing as soon as you get the phone call.
- Showcase your home as if you are receiving guests. Turn on lights or open drapes, place flowers in vases, hang your best towels, light a fire in the fireplace if it's cold outside and play soft background music.
- During a showing, try to step out for a cup of coffee or run a few errands. The buyer will feel more relaxed if allowed to view your home without any distractions.
- Make sure your pets are confined to a safe and out-of-the-way place.
- In some cases, silence can be golden. If you are present for the showing, it's best to reserve comments until the buyer has left the home.
- For safety purposes, it's wise to show the home to a buyer only if the agent working with them is present. You should also put away your most valuable items such as jewelry and collectibles.
Need some more tips for staging? This helpful article features more tips on how to stage your living room.
And always, please feel free to contact us or your Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Hudson Valley Properties representative at any time if you have questions, concerns, ideas or suggestions.